The Dakota City Volunteer Fire Department has a long, proud history. The Department was organized in the early 1910’s. The department began with a small number of volunteers (approximately 7) and expanded membership to 20+ members as early as 1927. The current roster can be viewed here.
In 1929, the City purchased the department’s first motorized vehicle: a 1930 Ford truck. This truck was restored by the department in 1979 and is still proudly on display at the Dakota City Fire Hall. It is also a popular entry in local parades and car shows.
In 1950, the Dakota Covington Fire District was formed and established an interlocal agreement with the City of Dakota City for fire protection services within the rural district and city limits. The agreement between the two entities continues today. The Rural Fire District maintains and provides all fire equipment while the City maintains and provides rescue equipment. Both share ownership and operation of the Dakota City Fire Station.
In 2017, Fire Department, Rural Fire Board, and City oversaw construction of the new Dakota City Fire Station. This $2.2 million dollar facility was funded by a county-wide local option sales tax, which was overseen by the Dakota County Public Safety Services Agency. The building was designed by M+ Architects and constructed by Nelson Construction and Development. The new facility includes eight drive through bays and an unfished upper level which can be converted to sleeping quarters if needed in the future. The new Fire Station is a popular location for community events and activities.
The Fire Department provides fire and rescue services to a large geographic area. This area includes Dakota City, Jackson, and major industrial areas like Tyson Fresh Meats and Siouxland Ethanol.