Effective June 1, 2022, the City of Dakota City will implement a rental property licensing & inspection program, pursuant to authority granted by Nebraska law, as adopted or amended from time to time, including, but not limited to, Neb. Rev. Stat. Section 17-505 & Ordinance 967: Rental Property Licensing & Inspection Program.
The rental property & inspection program shall apply to any rental property and/or rental dwelling within the corporate limits of the City of Dakota City, Nebraska, and its extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction, with the following exceptions:
(1) Group care facilities;
(2) Motels and hotels;
(3) State licensed hospital, hospice, community-care facility, intermediate-care facility, or nursing home;
(4) Residential dwellings occupied by a parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild of the owner of the property; and
(5) Mobile homes owned by the occupant
An application for a rental property license and applicable fees shall be filed and paid by May 1st during the year of inspection at a cost of $25.00 for the first unit and $10.00 for each additional unit.
Inspection Fees. Primary inspections shall be conducted at no additional charge. Re-inspections shall be conducted at no additional charge if violations have been corrected. If any violation has not been corrected, additional inspection fees shall be charged according to the following schedule, which fee shall be due and payable before a license for said property is issued or renewed:
(1) All re-inspections: $75.00
(2) In the event a property owner, property owner’s agent or property manager fails to appear for a scheduled primary inspection/re-inspection appointment, and fails to provide at least 24-hour notice, requiring the rescheduling of such inspection, the owner will be charged a re-inspection fee of $75.00.
Property owners shall be issued written statements for re-inspection charges and shall be required to pay such charges within thirty (30) days. If payment of such fees is not received, the rental license shall be revoked or denied.
(F) Additional re-inspections may be conducted as the Code Official determines necessary, including but not limited to on a complaint-basis.
(G) Primary inspections and re-inspections provided for herein shall be in addition and supplemental to any other inspection or access authorized under applicable law.