There are several local licenses and permits that residents should review to ensure compliance.

All applications can be returned to City Hall, located at 1511 Broadway, Dakota City, NE 68731. They may also be mailed to City Hall at P.O. Box 482, Dakota City, NE 68731 or emailed to the City Administrator at

Rental Property Licensing & Inspections

Effective June 1, 2022, the City of Dakota City will implement a rental property licensing & inspection program, pursuant to authority granted by Nebraska law, as adopted or amended from time to time, including, but not limited to, Neb. Rev. Stat. Section 17-505 & Ordinance 967: Rental Property Licensing & Inspection Program.

The rental property & inspection program shall apply to any rental property and/or rental dwelling within the corporate limits of the City of Dakota City, Nebraska, and its extraterritorial zoning jurisdiction, with the following exceptions:

(1) Group care facilities;

(2) Motels and hotels;

(3) State licensed hospital, hospice, community-care facility, intermediate-care facility, or nursing home;

(4) Residential dwellings occupied by a parent, child, grandparent, or grandchild of the owner of the property; and

(5) Mobile homes owned by the occupant

An application for a rental property license and applicable fees shall be filed and paid by May 1st during the year of inspection at a cost of $25.00 for the first unit and $10.00 for each additional unit.

Inspection Fees. Primary inspections shall be conducted at no additional charge. Re-inspections shall be conducted at no additional charge if violations have been corrected. If any violation has not been corrected, additional inspection fees shall be charged according to the following schedule, which fee shall be due and payable before a license for said property is issued or renewed:

(1) All re-inspections: $75.00

(2) In the event a property owner, property owner’s agent or property manager fails to appear for a scheduled primary inspection/re-inspection appointment, and fails to provide at least 24-hour notice, requiring the rescheduling of such inspection, the owner will be charged a re-inspection fee of $75.00.

Property owners shall be issued written statements for re-inspection charges and shall be required to pay such charges within thirty (30) days. If payment of such fees is not received, the rental license shall be revoked or denied.

(F) Additional re-inspections may be conducted as the Code Official determines necessary, including but not limited to on a complaint-basis.

(G) Primary inspections and re-inspections provided for herein shall be in addition and supplemental to any other inspection or access authorized under applicable law.

ATV / UTV License

The City requires all ATV/UTV vehicles to be licensed. Dakota City and South Sioux City licenses are valid in either community. To license your ATV/UTV, you must complete the registration form. You will also be required to show proof of registration, liability insurance, and pass an inspection at City Hall. The license is $30 and must be renewed by January 1st of each year. The annual renewal fee is $25.

Beehive License

Anyone wanting to maintain a beehive within Corporate Limits is required to register the hive with the City.  The application requires a one-time fee of $25.

Golf Cart License

Similar to ATV/UTV licensing, golf carts may be driven on City streets so long as the vehicle is licensed with the City. The license is a $5 annual fee.

Home Occupation License

All home occupations must be registered with the City and obtain a permit from the office of the Administrator/Clerk/Treasurer on an annual basis. The City has the authority, but not the obligation, to inspect any home occupation to determine compliance with the requirements of this Section. Home occupations not in compliance may be denied a permit.

Ordinance 975: Home Occupations

Home Occupation Application

Peddler / Solicitor License

Those desiring to sell products door-to-door or at a fixed location are required to apply for a Peddler/Solicitor permit. The fee varies based on location and length of the vending period.

Any peddler/solicitor unable to provide a copy of his/her approved permit violates City Ordinance and may be subject to citation and/or prosecution. Residents who notice door-to-door solicitors unable to show a permit are encouraged to contact the Law Enforcement Center at 402-494-7555 immediately.

Pet License

All cats and dogs residing in Dakota City must be licensed. Pet licensing applications are due by January 1st  each year. The fee is $5 for each altered dog or cat, and $10 for each unaltered dog or cat. An additional fee of $5 is charged for households that harbor more than two of any one species or a combination of three or more dogs and cats. At the time of application, owners must provide proof of rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian. Vets may fax vaccination records to City Hall at 402-987-3313.